Wibro comes to the Mac

Written by admin on December 11, 2008 – 10:44 am -

KT recently announced that they now have a Mac OS friendly WiBro usb modem. The modem is manufactured by Modacom of Korea and is literally a plug and play affair.

Not wanting to wait a moment longer to give this a go, my friend and I went to the KT office near Yeoksam Yeok. Here is where it gets a little irritating, there were only 2 customer support representatives to service about 10 people who were in a queue so you can just imagine it was quite a wait. After that short inconvenience I installed the drivers which I had previously downloaded from KT’s Wibro page and plugged in my USIM card and voila! I had internet access on my MacBook Pro.

What I’m trying to do now is to share the Wibro connection with my other devices through Airport. I’ll keep you posted on my progress.

Tags: ,
Posted in Tech | 10 Comments »

10 Responses to “Wibro comes to the Mac”

1. By bermandt on Dec 12, 2008 | Reply

congratulation.nice article.I link it to my blog Modacom KWD-U200, The First Mac Friendly USB WiMAX Modem

how much did you pay for the modem ?

2. By admin on Dec 13, 2008 | Reply

@bermandt, I paid W 97,000 (USD70)

3. By ChosunBimbo on Dec 19, 2008 | Reply

What’s the pricing like in terms of the plan? WHat are you paying per month?
    Is there a data cap?

4. By admin on Dec 19, 2008 | Reply

@ChosunBimbo, I currently pay W20,000 for unlimited data. Speeds vary, on the average I can get 1.5-2 Mbps for downloads and about 1Mbps on the upload.

5. By Stefan on Jan 13, 2009 | Reply

Is there any limitation concerning voip?

6. By admin on Jan 14, 2009 | Reply

@stephan, fist it depends on the area as well, Wibro coverage is still a bit spotty, especially if you’re not on the main roads or maybe there are obstacles. With regards to coverage (from the places I travel to on a daily basis) I’m quite satisfied, I use Skype and Yahoo voice with no issues, sometimes it’s choppy but I attribute that to the other persons bandwith.

7. By john on Apr 25, 2009 | Reply

i hope korea comes up with a way so i can always connect to my itouch with wifi. Is there a way? Maybe rent a wibro router for my 3 month visit there.

8. By admin on Apr 25, 2009 | Reply

@john, sorry there is no wibro router available, if you’re looking for wifi hotspots they are everywhere, and most of them are free in the Seoul Metropolitan area.

1. 2 Trackback(s)

2. Dec 12, 2008: Modacom KWD-U2000, The First Mac Friendly USB WiMAX Modem | WiMAXian
  3. Dec 18, 2008: Wibro comes to the Mac « Waiguoren’s Weblog