Professional Movers Korean Style

Written by admin on June 18, 2008 – 2:50 pm -

On my way to work a few weeks ago I snapped a photo of a unique way of how movers do things in South Korea. A boom similar to a fire truck ladder extends from the truck bed but instead of having steps a platform moves up and down.

The platform can handle refrigerators, bedroom closets, washers and just about anything you have at home.  It’s a very clever way to move stuff if you ask me and saves a lot of time too compared to the usual house moving that we’re all accustomed to. I have not seen this method of moving in most of the countries I’ve lived in. It makes me wonder if there are any other countries that do this kind of thing.

Tags: ,
Posted in Seoul | 9 Comments »

9 Responses to “Professional Movers Korean Style”

1. By betchay on Jun 18, 2008 | Reply

we’re on the 10th floor and we have a new next-door neighbor that just moved in last sunday… they gave us a box of krispy kremes! i guess it’s for the noise that those movers created… LOL

2. By annabanana on Jun 19, 2008 | Reply

I am an avid reader of your blog. I like all of your entries specially everything posted in ‘observations’. I hope you could update daily. =D

3. By admin on Jun 19, 2008 | Reply

@ Betchay, I love those Krispy’s a lot, can’t have enough of them ^^, I’m glad Korea finally has them. I’d be thrilled if I can find a Quizno’s in Gangnam. I did see one at the airport.

@Annabanana. didn’t really think anyone except Betchay was a regular visitor, besides I don’t really count my hits anyway ^^. Glad you like it and I do try to post regularly but the nature of my job often prevents me from doing so.

4. By betchay on Jun 19, 2008 | Reply

there’s a Quiznos in Itaewon… at the former Burger King building

5. By admin on Jun 19, 2008 | Reply

Thanks for the 411 Betchay ^^

6. By Wendy on Jun 21, 2008 | Reply

hey, i’m a regular visitor, too. :-)

i’ve seen this kind in Ilsan when we went there for a visit. aliw ako. but here in our place, the movers go through the elevator. you have to “rent” the elevator for your exclusive use. In Hanhwa Obelisk, we paid 30,000 won for less than 5 minutes of exclusive use. In Trapalace, we paid 50,000 won for about the same time.

7. By admin on Jun 21, 2008 | Reply

@ Wendy, ouch that’s pretty steep for less than five minutes use.. see that’s why Seoul is the 3rd most expensive city to live in.

8. By Wendy on Jun 21, 2008 | Reply

expensive, i agree! ok… less than 5 mins was an exaggeration:-) but how long would it take to put everything in the elevator and how many trips would it take? the movers would only start using the elevator as long as everything is ready to be moved. definitely less than 30 mins… less than 20 even. the building management would only need to cover the walls and the floor of the elevator to prevent them from possible scratches. nope, i’m not whining:-) just a factual narration of our experience here…

re: seoul being the 3rd most expensive: in 2006, Mercer Consulting came out with a list of the most expensive locales on earth in 2006 and Seoul landed No. 2, next only to Moscow. how’s that?

9. By Thomas Körtvélyessy on Aug 17, 2008 | Reply

HI –
    I’m about to live in Seoul as as guest professor at the Korean National University of the Arts (KNUA) and found your blog trying to calculate my daily living expenses a bit.

>> Well, in the Netherlands, where I generally live & work, such kinds of lifts are rather common. Dutch houses are very narrow, there is little space, especially in the very dense areas of the big cities.

So sometimes these lifts are a necessity, since the staircases simply don’t for allow space to transport, let’s say a big sofa.
    However the price may be a bit cheaper.

In the old days they solved this problem with big beams that would stick out from under the roofs of a house, so you’d pull up big chunky stuff with a rope and heave it in through the rather large windows….

cheers,