F3 (Dependents) visa update

Written by admin on April 22, 2008 – 11:07 pm -

You’ve probably noticed a decrease in my blogging activities. No, I have not run out of things to write about, It is because have been pretty busy with work and also due to my family’s arrival last week.

In my previous post I’ve been venting about how confusing and inefficient the procedure is for getting the F3 visa. A few days ago I accompanied my family to the Immigration Office at Mokdong to apply for a dependents visa. Everything went very smoothly as I had made an appointment the week before online.

First of all I’d like to comment on how polite the immigration officer was, he was very patient and helpful in answering all of our queries. I was pleasantly surprised that he was going to issue the F3 visa and the Alien Registration cards. The process would take 10 days and all the documents would be couriered to my office. 

So I guess how you get your F3 visa varies on a case by case basis, others get it on the spot from the Korean Embassy, others get it by coming to Korea as a tourist and applying for it in Korea but have to leave the country to get their passports stamped and return, and in our case, coming to Korea as a tourist and be issued an F3 and alien registration cards on the spot.

Documents submitted to the Korean Immigration Service :

1. Marriage Certificate

2. Birth Certificate of children

3. Employment Certificate 

4. Photocopy of the principal’s Alien Registration Card

5. Passport size photos attached to the application forms

6. And of course, the passports.

Oh and don’t forget to bring cash to buy revenue stamps. I paid W110,000 (US$110) for each application, this includes a 1 year multiple entry visa, the Alien Registration card and courier fee.


Tags: ,
Posted in South Korea | 4 Comments »

4 Responses to “F3 (Dependents) visa update”

  1. By betchay on Apr 23, 2008 | Reply

    did you apply for the CVI first at the immigration office in Seoul? i heard that’s the best way to do it. wendy is also here on an F3 visa.

    i like the civil servants here in korea. they are really pleasant, so far from the ones back home (and even the ones at the embassy).

  2. By admin on Apr 24, 2008 | Reply

    What’s a CVI? When we arrived in Seoul from Singapore in 2000 we came in on tourist visas and applied for my work visa in Seoul. When it was approved we all went to Manila to get our passports stamped with E7 and F3 and then applied for our Alien Registration Cards when we got back.

    This time, I came from Bangkok and my company applied for my work visa and I got my passport stamped in Bangkok because I wanted to avoid all the hassles of dealing with Philippine goverment agencies if I went home and processed from there.

    My experiences over the years with Korean civil servants have been generally pleasant. At least dito di hassle mag pa xerox at laging may ballpen sa my application counters :D di tulad sa atin bibili ka pa. And I have to say its getting better. I used to complain about why I had to fill out an immigration card even if you had the ARC, these days nothing to fill out, just present your card and passport when leaving or arriving.

  3. By wendy on May 9, 2008 | Reply

    it’s nice to know that you got it easy. i agree with your observation about the civil servants here… the system is efficient, too. you could either go back for the ACRs or have it delivered. which reminds me, we need to go back to Mokdong for our ACR. we transferred apartment, that’s why. we have to update the immigration for any changes.:-)

  4. By admin on May 9, 2008 | Reply

    @ Wendy, I remember we moved three times during our five year stay here so now I just put my office address down on our ACRs so that I don’t have to keep updating it.

Post a Comment